How Long Will Dental Crowns Last? Answers from Bondi Dental
How long dental crowns last depend on a number of factors, including oral hygiene, diet, trauma to the tooth and the type of dental crown you have.
Read on to learn more about dental crowns and ways to keep them for a long time.
Factors That Affect The Longevity Of Dental Crowns
For a dental crown to last long, these factors play an important role.
- Oral hygiene
- Eating habits
- Clenching/grinding the teeth
- Biting fingernails
- Chewing ice
- Drinking extremely hot beverages
- Using the teeth to open packaging
- The material used to make the crown
If a crown is made with the highest quality materials, fitted correctly to your bite, and well taken care of, it will possibly last for a lifetime.
How Long Will Dental Crowns Last?
Dental crowns can last for several years but are not designed to last a lifetime.
Even with proper care, dental patients should not expect crowns to be trouble-free for decades.
How To Protect Your Dental Crowns
Though a crowned tooth does not need additional care, it does need 100% protection from decay, just as your natural teeth.
- Make sure that you practice healthy oral hygiene habits and floss daily.
- Clean the region around your crown thoroughly, especially your gumline.
- Do not bite on hard or firm objects.
- Attend regular check-ups to see if your crown shows any indication of damage, bite problems, and decay.
- Do not grind/clench your teeth; this can damage the crown.
The Bondi Dental Advantage
Dental crown problems should be addressed as soon as possible to ensure the problem does not worsen.
We would recommend contacting your Bondi dentist for a routine check-up to ensure nothing is out of the ordinary.
Visit us at 134 Curlewis St in Bondi Beach.